novembro 18, 2006

Mais Casablanca




SAM (lightly): Ain't you planning on going to bed in the near future?

RICK: No.

SAM: You ever going to bed?

RICK: No.

SAM: Well, I ain't sleepy either.

RICK: Good. Then have a drink.

SAM: No. Not me, boss.

RICK: Then don't have a drink.

SAM: Boss, let's get out of here.

RICK (emphatically) No, sir. I'm waiting for a lady.

SAM (earnestly): Please, boss, let's go. Ain't nothing but trouble for you here.

RICK: She's coming back. I know she's coming back.

SAM: We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone.

RICK: Shut up and go home, will you?

SAM (stubbornly): No, sir. I'm staying right here.

Sam sits down at the piano and starts to play softly, improvising.

Page 51 screenplay

RICK: They grab Ugarte and she walks in. Well, that's the way it goes. One in, one out. Sam?

SAM: Yeah, boss?

RICK: Sam, if it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

SAM: Uh, my watch stopped.

RICK: I bet they're asleep in New York. I'll bet they're asleep all over America.

Suddenly he pounds the table and buries his head in his arms. Then he raises his head, trying to regain control.

RICK: Of all the ginjoints in all the towns in all the wold, she walks into mine. He holds his head in his hands.

RICK: What's that you're playing?

SAM: Just a little of my own.

RICK: Well. stop it. You know what I want to hear.

SAM: No, I don't.

RICK: You played it for her and you can play it for me.

SAM: Well, I don't think I can remember it.

Page 52 screenplay

RICK: If she can stand it, I can. Play it!

Sam: Yes, boss.

Sam starts to play "As Time Goes By".

Rick just stares ahead as orchestra MUSIC slowly joints Sam's playing.